Monday, August 7, 2017

Newborn and Baby Knitting - Klompelompe

A few months ago a friend of mine who also enjoys knitting asked me whether I had recommendations for knitting books about baby clothes. I didn’t, as I have never bought a book for baby clothes only. Loving to buy knitting books I took the request as an invitation to search for the cutest pattern books for kids. It’s shocking how gendered most children outfits are. Buying gender-neutral clothes is almost impossible and I am not a great fan of all the pink-kitchy stuff. As most of the time, Scandinavian knitting patterns did the trick. The duo from the blog Klompelompe (if anyone knows what that means, please tell me) offer their most popular patterns in a book. As young moms they were motivated to create their own patterns, as they found there were not many nice patterns out there, especially not for boys.
The colours, shapes and texture of their patterns are mostly unisex and so beautiful, I would wear most of the stuff myself if it was my size.

So I started knitting. Kid’s stuff is always finished so fast, it’s great fun. First, for my friend’s baby, who will be half a year old when the cold and sometimes brutal Berlin winter hits. I decided to go for the pattern “Fritz” and made a whole outfit with cardigan, pants, socks and hat. (When those friends had their first baby three years ago I also knit something for them, looking back at those things I am so ashamed at the quality of them. The socks didn’t even look like socks at all, it was horrible! And yet, I was so proud J ) Anyhow, the new outfit for the little one turned out cute and the pattern gives the fabric a nice, thick texture while being amazingly easy to knit at the same time.

The whole Fratz- outfit
The Fratz Jacket
The Fratz Hat and Socks (colour is actually a dark burgundy)

The hat "Oline"

Reusing the "Water for the Elephants"-pattern for a cardigan

The first Bonnet I ever knit



Pompoms are so adorable!



Another Oline-Hat.
After the outfit for the toddler I was hooked and when the friend who had asked me for baby patterns sent me an ultrasound of her baby girl who will be born in the last weeks of November, I was totally motivated to knit as much newborn-stuff from Klompelompe as I could till we went on holiday. The newborn-hat patterns in the book are so adorable, you will love them. I ordered a pompom-maker on amazon and am quite happy with the results. The hats look so cute with them!

If you need a gift for new parents or want to get a great book as a gift to a new mom or dad who knit, Klompelompe is my recommendation!



Finished cardigan for the little newborn
Happy knitting folks!

No comments: